Viewing entries from category: Music Press Institution
Categories: Key Concepts, Institutions, Ownership, Magazines, Intro to Magazines, More on Magazines, Music Press, Music Press Institution, New Media, Convergence, Digital Media, Integration, New Technologies, Synergy, We Media
The need to target a ‘specific audience’ is a key issue for the ‘magazine industry’. Magazines are heavily ‘subsidized by advertising’ and the key to attracting a sustainable ‘portfolio of advertisers’ is the creation of a product that is desirable to their ‘target market’.
As a consequence, within the magazine industry as a whole, there are many magazines aimed at similar audiences because that ‘demographic’ is lucrative for advertisers....[ read full article ] »
Categories: GCSE, Key Concepts, Institutions, Music, British Pop Music, Music Video, Other Topics, Production Zone, Audio Production, Music Press, Music Press History, Music Press Institution, Music Press Language, Music Press Links One, Pop Music on TV
EMI Group EMI is the world’s largest independent music company.
musicovery.com Free access to a range of music on the Internet
Observations from AQA course on
The Music Press
1. Investigate ownership of magazines: EMAP and IPC Media dominate. What are the consequences?
2. Mainstream vs fanzine/blogs/online communities, etc. - benefits?
3. Editorial independence of mainstream? Advertise to ensure positive reviews/coverage? Content analysis as ‘evidence’?
4. Horizontal integration e.g. Smash Hits radio, TV, website but no magazine anymore.
5. Explore narrative: contents of mags, the use...[ read full article ] »